Sunday, January 9, 2011

Thoughts on Pocket Carry

We all do it.  Well at least those of us who choose to take the responsibility for or own safety into our own hands.  Sometimes for whatever reason, we don't feel like strapping on that full size handgun or we just can't conceal the gun we would like to be carrying.  Whether it is a trip to the corner store for a bottle of milk or a non-permissive office environment, we turn to the pocket gun.

Like most gun toting people I'd rather have a little gun than no gun at all.  But how well does the pocket gun meet the needs of the day should we actually need it?  How well does the carry means support getting that gun into action?  How often do we train with that little J-frame or pocket auto?

I'll agree that one of the benefits of the pocket gun is that you can already have your hand on it and no one is the wiser, but what happens when you don't see that trouble from a mile away?

There are a number of issues that I think we should address.  First, pocket carry is slow.  I don't train with my J-frame as much as I should, but in timed drills from the five yard line, I think I averaged around 3.7 seconds from a start with my hands at my sides.   This is a long damn time.  It was a lot longer when the holster came out with the gun, which brings us to number two.

Pocket holster selection is an important part of pocket carry.  The holster in the picture above is a Mitch Rosen El Raton.  Mitch Rosen makes as nice a holster as anyone, but this holds the gun too tightly.  If you miss that barb on the top of the holster it is coming out with the gun.  I've currently switched to a Desantis Nemesis which has a almost sticky exterior that holds well to the pocket lining.  It also has a much looser grip on the gun than a form fitted or boned leather holster might.

Give your unloaded pocket gun a quick draw test.  If the gun comes out still in the holster, it might be time to look for a new holster.  This seems as good a place as any to mention that its probably a bad idea to carry a gun without a holster regardless of whether its in a pocket or at waist level or in a purse.

This past fall, I shot a BUG (back-up gun) match at Pioneer Sportsmen.  None of the stages required drawing your small revolver or pocket auto, but it did go to show you that little guns can be shot well under the stress riser of the clock.  It just takes a lot of practice.  I saw a number of people who would normally smoke me at a regular IDPA match fall flat when they couldn't use that full sized handgun.  At least every other trip to the range I try to get some quality practice with my J-frame.

I won't wade into the abyss that is what is a suitable caliber for self defense.  They are enough arguments spread far and wide across the internet for me to add anything worthwhile.  I will say that you should choose something that has some history of stopping the fight.

I don't necessarily wish to dissuade anyone from pocket carry.  My hope is that you will recognize it for what it is, a compromise.  Now, get out there and practice with that gun you carry whatever it may be.

Eric

1 comment:

  1. I saw your comment on Todd Green's site and added one of my own. Interestingly, my boss told me Friday that he wants me to put a 3 inch bobtail 1911 on an aluminum Officer's Length frame in our line-up.

    The .45acp loses much less velocity in a short barrel than any other serious caliber, and the fast burning powders needed to fill up that big bore quickly makes for less muzzle flash and blast than it's competitors, so it seems like a win-win idea.

    Come on down in 2 or 3 weeks for a test shoot, and we'll throw in that steak dinner I promised Todd.
    Ed Foster, ewen55@att.net/860-794-8381.

    ReplyDelete