Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Flashlight Geekery

I like flashlights.  They serve a really important purpose, namely seeing in the dark.

I've been looking for a good, small flashlight for every day carry that won't break the bank.  As big of a fan of Surefire as I am, they are not inexpensive.  For a flashlight that I am probably going to lose, I didn't want to shell out for a E1B.

Enter the Streamlight PT1L.  This is compact, single CR123A, dual output LED light that only costs $48.  The tail cap switch can be used as a momentary by pressing lightly or as a maintained by pressing through until it clicks.  The first press of the switch will unleash 110 lumens.  Two quick presses activates the strobe setting, which I suspect could cause your adversary to have a seizure only rivaled by those Japanese anime cartoons of a couple of years ago.  Three quick presses gives the low output of 12 lumens, good for navigation or maximizing battery life.  Each setting can be fixed by pressing through to the click.  With a little practice selecting the mode you wish is pretty easy.

My only complaint thus far is that the pocket clip is not reversible.  It is fixed bezel down.  This is fine if you use the Rogers/Surefire technique, but less than ideal if you use the Harries.

So far, I haven't lost or broken it.  That's a pretty good start.  If you are in the market for a small, easily carried flashlight, it might be worth a look.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment