Sunday, January 9, 2011

Reloading Bench

I poured over countless threads on numerous boards looking for ideas when I was designing my reloading bench.  Every gun board must have a "Show us your reloading bench" thread.  There are a couple of good ones like the 1911forum's Let's see your reloading bench,  Brian Enos' Show us your "working" place, and M4carbine's Show us your reloading bench.

If you frequent those boards, you may have already seen mine.  For those who don't, here is mine.  Those with neatness issues or objections to clutter, you may wish to avert your eyes.

It all started with a fairly rough drawing on the back of a Powder Valley receipt.  From reading, most people complained of not having enough space.  Like buying a gun safe, the best advise is to build way bigger than you think you'll ever need because you will indeed fill it up.

My design needed to accommodate three presses.  A Dillon 550, a Hornady single stage, and a MEC 650 shotshell press along with all  the other tools and equipment to produce enough ammo to satisfy my needs.

I failed at both having enough space and producing enough ammo to satisfy my needs.  It seems that it is a lot easier to send it down range than it is to stay on top of reloading it.  Funny about that.


Being somewhat pressed for space, I decided that I wanted my single stage and the shot shell press removable.  You are looking at T-track routed into the bench top.  With these I can slide a press into or out of the T-track as I require.

So far they are holding up well.  I had some initial concerns that they would pull out when the presses leverage was applied.

This post is rolling quite as well as I had hoped.  So we'll just get on to some gratuitous pictures of clutter.

Hit the comments section if you have any questions.  Add yes, I do know where everything is.  Mostly.

No comments:

Post a Comment