Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Project M&P

I've owned or at least fired a lot of different handguns.  I have chased the unicorn searching for the ultimate carry gun and home defense or competition pistol.  What I have learned over those years of independently keeping several gun shops in the black, is that it really doesn't matter.

Any handgun or platform will have its assets and shortcomings.  Finding a platform that you can live with 95% of the time and sticking with it is a far better option than bouncing from gun to gun hoping for something better.  It will save you a hell of a lot of money as well.  This is not to say that experimentation or trying to find something better is necessarily bad, because finding that platform that will work 95% of the time will take the experience to know what it is that you want and who doesn't like shooting new guns.  The key, as I see it, is to know when to stop.


So here starts my year with Smith&Wesson's M&P.  Over the next 12 months, I intend to shoot the M&P platform, forsaking all others, excluding a single Smith&Wesson J-frame revolver.  This will include solo training at my home range, local and perhaps regional IDPA matches, and at least one or two training classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment